… In 10 Easy Steps
This is a “mail bag” question that we get all the time. The good news is, to make a basic walking stick by hand is not really a big deal. A monkey could do it.
What you’ll need:
As far as crafting the walking stick, here’s the most simple and direct method:
1) First off you’ll want to pick a nice piece of wood, preferably a straight sapling that’s roughly 1.2″ in diameter at the grip.
2) Cut the sapling to your preferred size. At this point, you should also cut off any twigs and protrusions.
3) Set the sapling aside for several months to make sure it’s nice and dry. If you live in a hot climate, the sapling will dry out a lot faster. (If you’re working with “wet” wood, there’s a chance that the stick will bow at some point, especially if it’s leaned against a wall.) If you happen to have access to a kiln, you can dry the sapling much faster.
4) If the bark is flaky or too thick, use the more coarse 80 grit sandpaper to gently sand the shaft by hand, working in an up and down motion.
5) Use 80 grit sandpaper to shape the top of the walking stick. If you’re going for the graceful, Brazos-Walking-Sticks-esque look, you’ll need to put quite a bit of work into this part in order to get it nice and rounded.